Saturday, September 29, 2012

Grayson Highlands State Park, Virginia


On a tip from a fellow camper in Shenandoah, we drove to Grayson Highlands State Park, Virginia, on our way to the Smoky Mountains.  We really enjoyed it.  We took a nice hike to Mt. Rogers.  A portion of the hike was on the Appalachian Trail.  I was most interested in seeing the wild ponies that live in the park and in the national recreation area of Mt. Rogers.  The ponies are not really "wild"--they can be pretty friendly and can be approached without running away.  They are called wild only because they roam the area finding their own food and no one owns them.  I included this picture so you can see that they are small horses.  I would have loved to have seen a very young one.



The black pony with the white mane and tail has been named "Fabio."  They were very busy grazing so I didn't get many pictures of them with their heads up.   Fabio finally raised his head and stared at me for about a minute so I got some good ones of him.  Looks like he has a wig on!
Beautiful Monarch

Catching up on the news at the campground

I love theses fences!

There were SO many Christmas tree farms in North Carolina!

Along the Blue Ridge Parkway--a beautiful drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment