Thursday, August 26, 2010

Gem Mountain, Montana


My sweet husband drove us WAY out into the middle of nowhere Montana to that I could hunt for sapphires at Gem Mountain!  On the Travel Channel I saw a show about a lady who went here and other places looking for semi-precious stones.  I knew I wanted to go, but didn't think I ever would.  I LOVE things like this!  So Don drove so that we got there just in time before they closed for the day, and we looked through buckets of dirt and rocks looking for these sapphires. Don learned the trick of washing the dirty rocks in the trough. Doesn't he look like he is having FUN in the picture?  I know they don't look like much here...remember they aren't ready to mount yet! Sapphires come in all colors and shades of gold, green, blue and even pink! I did find one that was big enough to facet.  Don couldn't believe it...but I bought another bag of dirt, rocks and (hopefully) sapphires to look through when we get home.  I think the big one is in there!

2 comments:

  1. You know that you 2 look really great after all of these years. Well, maybe just you, Kathy. It was nice finding your blog just seeing what you might look like. Have thought of y'all a lot in the past years. Kay Rita is still putting up with me. Have 2 grandsons. Very blessed. Just a note to say HI. Gary B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, this is so very cool! I can't wait to see your treasures! How very sweet of Don to take you to Gem Mountain and participate in the search. You lucky, lucky woman! :)

    Be safe and see you soon!
    Anissa

    ReplyDelete